It seems like I’m constantly changing and transforming into a different version of myself every year, but one thing has stayed consistent throughout my life: my love for salted chocolate chip cookies. So I was ecstatic to find out Jae shares this enthusiasm and love for perfectly baked cookies.
Ah, there’s no better feeling than biting into a warm, crispy yet soft, homemade cookie as you silently people-watch outside in perfect weather (trust me, it’s a lot less creepy than it sounds haha). You can’t really go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie; however, there are marginal differences that can either make you feel like savoring every last bite or a cookie that just makes you feel like a ball of shit. I wanted to find the former.
I made it my mission to find the best recipe and baking technique because I know it will come in handy one day. This recipe is good enough to bribe your friends, cheer up somebody, or maybe even persuade your boyfriend/girlfriend into forgiving you after a fight. Haha.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- sea salt for sprinkling
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) unsalted melted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat your melted butter and sugars together.
- Add in the egg and mix until combined…then the egg yolk and mix until combined.
- Add in the vanilla and mix.
- Then, in another bowl, whisk together your flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add it to the sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Spray on oil or butter up your baking sheet before scooping out 2-tablespoon sized balls onto your sheets.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just lightly golden and set.
- Cool on the sheets for a few minutes before removing to a rack.
Go check out Crepes of Wrath for more info on this recipe! Jae and I also created an instructional video for your entertainment 🙂